For NHS staff
We offer a range of specialist training workshops, drawing on our experience of supporting refugees, migrants and asylum seekers to overcome barriers to healthcare. The workshops focus on the health needs and entitlements of these vulnerable groups and are suitable for a range of professionals working in health and social welfare settings.
Contact Lucy Jones for general information about training.
Safe Surgeries training: Understanding migrant rights to NHS care
DoTW Safe Surgeries training (formerly Right to Care) aims to improve healthcare professionals’ understanding of migrant rights to, and experience of, NHS care. We use case studies to explore health needs and entitlements and offer practical good practice tips to improve healthcare access. The training is delivered by DoTW staff and clinic volunteers and is suitable for clinical and non-clinical professionals working in both primary and secondary care settings. Sample topics covered for different key audiences are given below.
GP reception staff:
- Exploring barriers to GP registration faced by migrants;
- Implementing NHS England guidelines on GP registration for migrants;
- Good practice tips for ensuring access to healthcare for refugees and migrants.
- Overview of entitlements to NHS care and charging rules for migrants;
- Addressing the healthcare needs of vulnerable migrants, including refugees and asylum seekers;
- Making referrals and supporting migrant patients with complex needs.
Funded by Trust for London, it is available for free in the London area and runs from one to two hours.
Contact Jennie Corbett for more information on Safe Surgeries training.
For commissioners and providers
We work with Clinical Commissioning Groups and other health communities to develop innovative projects that meet the needs of asylum seekers, refugees, and migrants. We work both as a delivery partner and consultant to support health communities and are able to create tailored workshops and training sessions to suit specific audiences or needs.
To find out more about our services contact Lucy Jones.